Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tooth Fairy Time



The trickiest part of this drawing was the teeth. Hopefully you can tell that one top tooth is missing. I took a few hours with this one but I'm getting faster. Half-way through I almost quit when I saw some obvious errors but I decided to see if I could make corrections. It worked and turned out acceptable after all. I used darker pencils to start the shading, then worked into lighter ones. This smooths out the marks made by the darker, softer leads. That is just the opposite to what I have done with most previous drawings.

6 comments:

Ellis said...

I love this drawing, way to go. The shading on the face is great. I especially like the freckles and the eyes. Great job!

Ellis said...

The hair seems pretty flat shaded. I know you didn't draw the whole picture in great detail, the cloths don't look as well shaded as the face, but I would like to see more modeling (shading the object so you can see it's shape) in the hair

Ellis said...

I'd have to see the real picture but I don't care for the roughness of this page mostly. You've done a good job getting some sharp details like the eyelashes (which look awesome) but most of the detail is fuzzy which seems to be because of the roughness of the paper. I'd have to see it in real life to really give my opinion on this though

Angela said...

Mom - as a non-artist. I have to say, I think this is your best "person" drawing yet. Good Job.

Melanie said...

Ellis, you are correct. The paper I used was not good for the technique this time. Next time I will use something smoother with less "tooth". I had a hard time making highlights in the hair because of the paper. I know that the hair color is very flat, and I was frustrated with that.

Jennifer Lovell said...

It's a cute picture, and I have no idea what mistakes you had to try to work around, so that's a good sign, right? And, his missing tooth was one of the first cute details I noticed, so that's a good job, too.